A breakthrough innovation for complete switch from fossil fuel to Hydrogen
The main objective of the project is to develop innovative multi-fuel burner for EAF (able to burn a mixture of natural gas and H2, up to 100%). The new burner will be able to use from 0 to 100% of hydrogen in order to evaluate the influence of the hydrogen combustion in the EAF process (heating, chemistry etc.).
- Realization of innovative burner, able to work with NG/H2 mixture, up to 100% hydrogen. Manufactured to work in severe environment, they ensures mechanical and thermal resistance in respect of EAF operative conditions.
- Realization of H2 burner risk analysis. The consortium knows well the possible risks associated to implementation of hydrogen pipeline in a steel shop. That aspect represents a deterrent for further spread of the technology at fully industrial level. Moreover, it is fundamental to ensure safety conditions during experimental campaign: for all these reasons, the present project performs a risk analysis study to evaluate which are the best conditions for the use of hydrogen in EAF. This milestone enhances the knowledge concerning the use of hydrogen in an industrial environment where its application is still missing.
- Proving the feasibility of technology by implementation of experimental campaign in industrial sites (FENO and CELSA). Substitution of one burner and set up of performance.
- Explore the influence of hydrogen of steel chemistry and the influence of water formation in EAF on overall performance
- LCA results in term of environmental KPIs cover different range of operative conditions, such as use of H2/NG mixture at different content of hydrogen or with replacing of all standard burner in EAF plant. The LCA analyses these scenarios in three different industrial contests (at CELSA, FENO and Beltrame). Weak points and improvement potential will be assessed. Quantification of CO2 emission reduction in case of fully implementation of H2 burner in EAF plant.
- Lead the pillars for full use of H2 in EAF, removing the dependance from fossil fuel and reducing emissions, with definition of guidelines for selection and implementation of “close” hydrogen loop, exploring different configurations and solutions to product hydrogen in situ (economic convenience, safety and market scenarios)